Sunday, August 17, 2014

Paranormal Public

Have you ever had that feeling that your heart was being torn in half? If you haven't experienced it, the only way I can explain it is that your heart is hurting and yearning for something or someone, I guess. I don't really know how to explain it.

But that feeling of a heart being torn was what happened to make me stop reading this series.

First off, the author, Maddy Edwards, put six more books of the series on Amazon without telling or consulting me. And I thought that the series had ended, but apparently it didn't.

The second reason is the character, Lisabelle. Lisabelle is a dark mage (witch) and is battling the evil and darkness within her. Lisabelle's friends, Charlotte (main character and only known Elemental) and Sip (short for Sip-something and is a tiny werewolf with purple eyes), are keeping her, Lisabelle, tied to the ground, you could say.

Lisabelle, to me, represents hope. Hope that even in the thickest part of the woods, I can make a clear path to the Meadow of Relief not to far away. If you know me, you'll know what I have been through and the thoughts that I have had since 2012.

Crash course on Hannah 101: I am bipolar and had been through a tough time after one of my dearest friends left. I was emotionally withdrawn and wouldn't sleep or eat. Then one day I was happy and I thought that was it. Then I was sad. It happened again and so I searched it up. I self diagnosed myself with bipolar disorder and had a therapist confrim it later. I was on a medication I didn't like, so I suffered through withdrawals. Even though it was painful, it was worth it in the end for me because of that floaty feeling I get on a high. I had dark thoughts and then I read about Lisabelle and how she was fighting against the darkness inside her and it just gave me hope. If she could do, so could I, right?

I became attached, in a way, to Lisabelle. And then the author had Lisabelle give in to darkness and I completely lost all hope. Thankfully, I had friends to help puck up the pieces for me and put me back together while I stood there in shock. But that's not the point.

The point is that, this author had Lisabelle give in. I knew it would happen, but I had hoped it wouldn't.

It wasn't the fact that Keller and Charlotte broke up, or because of all the hell hounds and demons. It wasn't because Sip was kidnapped. It was because Lisabelle gave in. That sounds weird, I know. But no one saw the happiness I got and the hope I had when Lisabelle was on the good side.

It was a good series, it was. But I just couldn't finish the last two books. The only other thing (besides Lisabelle) that made me want to stop is the length. I know some series are that long and I applaud those that stick through to the end. But for me it was too long. I think it was all the drama. Nine books. That means lots of drama. And life has so much drama and no happy ending and that's why I go to books. Because while they have drama, they usually have happy endings. And I need those happy endings because life doesn't always have a happy ending because people have things happen to them and they can't go forward. So books need happy endings!

If you can commit to a series this long, go for it! Don't let my crappy, depressing review stop ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment